I absolutely love changing around furniture- not only is a cost friendly way to change up your space but switching things up always makes me feel better. It always is an instant mood booster & I love all things cozy- & switching things up every now & then is always cozy to me. This is also the perfect opportunity to do a little deep cleaning & wash things like your curtains, blankets, rugs & pillows. And it also gives you a chance to move your décor around & get rid of items that no longer suite your style and/or vibe.
Start with moving your big furniture items like your couch, coffee table, chairs, side tables & shelving first & then focus on the smaller items last like your accent décor pieces for your coffee table, shelving & side tables. When rearranging furniture I like to keep the "conversation flow" in mind- this means keeping your seating area arranged in a way that is easy for everyone to get cozy together & spend a family movie night or have a good family chat.
I've said it a few times but I feel like since the New Year, I've been in a season of change & this was just the change I needed. We are all in different seasons in our life & in our home- we had our previous furniture layout for a few years so this was a much needed & much appreciated change- especially as winter just turned to spring- it gives me all the "new" feel vibes that spring brings.
Our home is a smaller home in eastern NC- it is right around 1,500 square feet & is coming up on 28 years old. The layout tends to be a bit difficult when it comes in terms to arranging furniture. If you have a smaller home layout like we do- always keep in mind the flow of your furniture & décor. As you can see, you can easily see into our dining area from our living space area. Our dining area is a getting a few upgrades (new blog post on that very soon- stay tuned!) so keeping this space light & airy but yet inviting & warm is always at the top of my priority list. Making sure you décor & color scheme flows will make your smaller home seem bigger & so much more inviting.
To sneak in another fun quick tip- I LOVE using mirrors in smaller living room spaces. I typically prefer placing them on our mantel- mirrors make a space seem bigger by reflecting your home & light. Pair your mirror with a set of taper candles to reflect & it is *chefs kiss*! You can find a few of the items I used in the photo above to recreate this look in your own home (here). A lot of my finds are local antique/thrifting finds- so I always recommend checking out & supporting your local antique shops & then also making a stop by your local Goodwill & yard sales.
My Top 5 Tips When Redecorating & Rearranging:
- Chose a focal point- a fireplace mantel, TV stand, bookshelf, painting/framed artwork, window & arrange the furniture around this focal point or in a way that draws the eye more towards the focal point.
- If possible, keep a few of your furniture pieces pushed off of the wall... even if it's a small amount of space between the wall & furniture. You can use this space to add floor lamps, plant stands & more. It's an easy way to bring a little something extra when your rearranging your home.
- Place furniture in a conversational way. If everyone is sitting down in the space together- ideally, you'd like to be able to easily see one another. For our home, making sure our living room furniture also includes views of our dining area is important- since these two spaces are both smaller & you can see both of them from either the living room or the dining room.
- Keep in mind how you walk through your home. Be sure to leave enough space for walking, for pets & for doors, entryways and/or foyers.
- Utilize mirrors to make your space seem larger. Floor length mirrors are an excellent way to achieve this look.
Also, I enjoy using apps like Pinterest to inspire me. You wouldn't believe the beauty people can bring out in their homes. You can follow me on Pinterest (here)- I'm always pinning lots of gorgeous inspo daily.
I hope my blog post has brought a little inspo to you & little creativity to your heart to switch up the furniture in your home- it's truly one of my favorite things to do & the best part... it doesn't cost a penny. Happy decorating friend & be sure to follow me on Instagram (krystlemarienickels) to stay up to date on what's new around here. And my LTK shop too- where I post links to all the things I love the most!