I'm so excited to get a head start this year on sharing my favorite fall & Halloween home décor + DIYs with you. I love spooky season & I love decorating for it even more. A while back, Pottery Barn offered this idea of a, "ghost in a cloche" & I fell in LOVE with it & wanted to recreate something similar to share with you. Plus, who doesn't love a good spooky DIY?! I'll keep this blog post short & sweet so you can get to crafting, friend.
- cloche (I used one I already had- but any style cloche will work, just be sure to adjust your bamboo skewers accordingly.)
- 3 wood skewers
- small piece of black felt - to cut for the eyes & mouth
- white cheesecloth
- Mod Podge - I used the small container of the gloss finish
- fairy lights - battery operated (I used a small 30 light strand)
- small Styrofoam ball
- small flat bottom round Styrofoam - to use for the base
Directions: Watch my video on how I made it here.
- Set the flat bottom round Styrofoam piece at the bottom of your cloche- this will be your base.
- Cut your three wood skewers. The middle one you want the tallest- it will be your ghost head. The side two will be shorter- they will be used to drape the cheesecloth over to create a bit of volume & make it look a bit more "sheet like."
- Pour about half of your container of Mod Podge into a bowl.
- Cut your cheesecloth into long enough pieces to drape over your wood skewers. This doesn't have to be perfect but it does have to be long enough to touch the bottom of your cloche. I used two pieces of cheesecloth to create the look mine has.
- Dip each piece of cheesecloth, individually, into the bowl with the Mod Podge- cover it completely. This can get a little messy- I did mine in the sink for easy clean up. Get it just wet enough where the entire cheesecloth is covered.
- Drape it over the top of your wood skewers & create your "ghost body." You can't go wrong here- get a little creative.
- Cut your two eyes & mouth from the black felt & place on the ghost head.
- Allow to dry- this can take several hours.
- Once your ghost is dry- use the fairy lights to place them inside of your ghost.
- Add a little moss around the base to cover up any of the Styrofoam base that may be showing.
- Turn on the lights, add your glass cloche on top & VIOLA! You've just created your own ghost in a cloche.
Who knew spooky season could be so cute? Don't forget to follow me on Instagram friend: krystlemarienickels
Happy (super early) Halloween & happy decorating, friend. Spooky season is upon us soon.