I remember being a little girl & making these with my mom during the Christmas holiday season. I remember them smelling AMAZING! I hadn't made these since I was a little girl until yesterday afternoon & it brought back so many good memories. They are such a simple DIY that you can do with your kiddos plus they smell SO good!
All you need is two ingredients: applesauce & cinnamon! Plus a few other handy things but I will get to that here shortly. It's time to find your favorite holiday cookie cutters & get down with a little crafting.
Applesauce & Cinnamon Ornaments:
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 2 cups applesauce
- 2 cups cinnamon
- cookie cutters
- wax or parchment paper
- cookie baking sheet
- straw (used to make the hole at the top)
- any kind of thin ribbon or twine
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees- these will slow bake for several hours.
- Mix the applesauce & cinnamon until it forms a dough like consistency. If the dough is too wet- add a little more cinnamon. If the dough is too try- add a little more applesauce.
- Roll small or medium sized balls, depending upon your cookie cutter size & then flatten & use your cookie cutter to cut out the shape.
- Use a spatula to gently scoop up the cookie & then place it directly on the baking sheet.
- Once you have cut all of your cookies out- I then used the straw to create the small loop hole for the ribbon at the top.
- Bake at 200 degrees for approximately 2.5 - 3 hours. Be sure to keep checking them to make sure they aren't burning.
- Remove them from the oven & use the spatula to transfer them to a cooling rack & let cool overnight.
- String with your favorite ribbon & then it's time to decorate!
You could also use white puffy paint to decorate these- that is totally up to you... I chose to leave them as is but it would be so much fun to let the kids decorate them too.
They are such a wonderful addition to your Christmas tree & they can also be used to decorate presents & gift bags too. Or you can place them in a cookie dish & use them to display throughout the holidays.
Have fun with it & make it a sweet Christmas memory. I recommend wrapping these in bubble wrap when storing, if you plan on keeping these from year to year.
Happy crafting, friend! And be sure to tag me on Instagram (krystlemarienickels) if you make these this holiday season- I would love to see what beautiful ornaments you create. Merry Christmas!